Windows 7 Tweaks and Tips

SlipWraith

JFF Member
From time to time some one will post some tips and tweaks that I find interesting and worthy of sharing. One is Godmode in windows 7:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10423985-285/understanding-windows-7s-godmode/

It basically allows you to access all of the settings on your computer including many hidden settings from within one shortcut.

In a conversation the subject of ramdisk came up. I was able to find the following article that talks about installing ramdisk as well as many other tweaks that are worth noting like turning off all of the RAM utilizing frills.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*&p=442160&viewfull=1#post442160

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Very nice, I created the God Mode icon, lots to play with there, it's now a perm icon on my desktop!

I checked the RAM disk one too, looks like the article is a few years old, but they just updated the software last month, so that's all good too. Excellent thread, thanks again!

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Ok, installed the ram drive software and pointed Chrome to a new folder there for cache... my god.... so much faster. Way awesome, thanks again for posting this!

SlipWraith

JFF Member
Yeah, the God Mode icon is great at getting you to some of the harder to find tweaks. I haven't tried ram disk yet.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
The ramdisk sounded pretty cool, thought I'd give it a shot. After setting everything up as stated in that thread it doesn't seem to work. Firefox is currently the only thing I've bothered to mess with but it shows no files on the ramdisk after use. Yes, I followed the instructions for rerouting the browser cache. :)
Actually, launching firefox takes longer than anything that occurs during its use. Not sure this app is going to do much good here. The best I can think of would be to preload CAD into ram...

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
That's an old article, so the FF cache might be different now.

I had to change the registry for Chrome as well as edit two shortcuts in order to get the cache to read from the ram drive. Could be that FF is different now as well.