Windows 7 Homegroup

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to net working a couple of Win7 PCs here at home, but my primary PC, the homegroup service isn't running. When I run it, it then says that it's missing a dependency, but doesn't tell me what dependency it is... Thanks MS....

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I've been browsing the web and so far, nothing has helped.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so I figured this out sorta. There's actually a dependency tab on each service if you view the properties of it (damned helpful that is, heh). Anyway, it relies on two services I didn't have enabled, I attempted to enable those, they had a dependency, so I then looked at those and figured it out.

Basically, I had disabled a service called HTTP a month ago, because I wanted to run Apache on this system for some development work and I wanted to use port 80 by default. This service, HTTP, uses port 80 and wouldn't let Apache run on it then. So, I disabled it. That fixed that problem.

Unfortunately, this means I only have a few options, none of which I like.

• Develop on something other than port 80 (really fun typing in a port number on every request...) and turn the service back on.
  • Leave it off and don't use the homegroup stuff (sucks, but I can deal with it).
Anyway, just lame of MS to make a service dependent on port 80 being open, when many people use port 80 themselves...

Duncan

JFF Member
Can you configure it to use a different port?
I have homegroup running as well as WAMP, and can host web pages without issue...

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Can you configure it to use a different port?
I have homegroup running as well as WAMP, and can host web pages without issue...
No idea, I couldn't find anything on it anyway. But after I had done some reading, people mentioned that service and to stop it. As soon as I did, Apache worked fine.