So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Trade Wars!

Discussion in 'Free / Browser Based Games' started by Trekkan, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

I've started up a TradeWars game server. If you happen to remember what a BBS door game is from back in the day, then TradeWars is what you remember it being.

Connection Information:

IP: 76.105.227.102 (Subject to change but shouldn't change much more often than every couple months usually, so check back here if you can't connect)
    Port: 2002

What's the password?!

It's the same password we use for our other servers at the moment. If you don't have it, please PM me, ask someone in TeamSpeak, etc.

What it is?

It's a game where you fly your spaceship from port to port, buy low, sell high. Buy weapons, create planets, starbases, destroy your enemies and otherwise amass a fortune in goods and credits. There's a lot more to it and a lot of strategy, and if that's your thing, you should really take the time to learn the game.

This is a text based game, but if you can get past that, you'll be happy you did. This game is what games like Eve Online and such look back at for their roots.

In order to play the game you'll need the following:

A telnet client (don't use the build in windows one), I'd recommend Putty, you can get it from here. It's an executable, but don't worry, Putty has been around for many many years and is basically the industry go to for Telnet clients. You can run it from anywhere on your PC, there's no installer.

Configuring Putty
    • Double click the .EXE file you downloaded from the above link
    • In the Host name section, type in the IP address from the above connection section
    • In the Port section, type in the Port from the above connection section
    • Select Telnet for the Connection Type
    • In the next box under Saved Sessions type something like: JFF TradeWars
    • Click Save

From now on, just double click the entry you just created to connect

How do I play?

I'll have to work on some documentation links, but I don't plan on writing too much myself. Hopefully another player will write a newbie guide, but I know there are several out there already. Here's a couple that I found quickly. If you find something more helpful or whatever, please post it here in this thread!

Resources

http://tradewars.fament.com/guardian/shellnew.htm
    http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/...de-Wars-2002?p=3431743&viewfull=1#post3431743
    http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/TWBible.txt

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. Xantheis

Xantheis Member JFF Member

Sweet. will hop in later today

3. Morigen

Morigen Member JFF Member

The third link listed above under resources was my go-to reference 20 years ago when I first started playing. It's a good source.

Here are some newbie tips:

Every time you move, or access a port, or do a lot of stuff (but not everything), it uses turns. Different ships use different amount of turns per movement. You only have 250 turns per day, so don't waste them (like labor in Archeage, they are a valuable resource and you can't buy extra). (next game I am going to beg the Admin to maybe up that a little bit).

Best way to make money starting off (and making money is the goal of the game. Bigger ships, more fighters, whatever you want to do, requires cash) is to find two ports right next to each other that are buying what the other is selling. Each one will say something like BSB or SSB or whatever. B stands for buying, s stands for selling. Each port buys or sells (in this order) Fuel, Organics, and Equipment. A BBS port buys fuel, and sells Organics and equipment. What you want to do is find a XSB and a XBS (X means we dont care if they are buying or selling fuel) right next door to each other. (Equipment costs more than Organics which cost more than fuel. THe higher the cost equates to higher profits). To maximize money and minimize turn use, buy organics at the selling port, move to the other port. Sell the organics and buy the equipment. Return to the first port, sell the equipment and buy organics. Rinse and repeat. (Referred to as port pair trading).

I find the game extremely tedious to play manually. If you haven't played this before, DO play it manually for a day or two. It really helps to understand how things work. If you have a macroable keyboard or mouse, you'll want to start using it quickly, especially for doing the trading. Otherwise it can get quite repetitive.

Back in the day, I used a program called SWATH (Special Weapons and Automagic Tradwars Helper). You can download it for free at swath.net. It's free to use for 30 days, then it requires you to buy a $26 license. I had one, but that was a while ago. Not sure I would buy it again (unless we get a lot of people regularly playing). It's got scripts built in for trading, for scanning, and other things. Plus a nice interface that easily shows you what you (turns left, fighters, sheilds, whats in you holds, etc). It acts as your telnet interface, so it connects directly. Anyway, if you start playing and you think you like the game but find it getting tedious, I'd suggest downlaoding this and using the built in trading script. Makes it much more enjoyable. I will be doing some more research on other interfaces to find one that's either free or a lot cheaper.

Using SWATH, you can write your own scripts as well. Had a lot of fun doing that. Had a script I would turn on and it would just wait for some poor sap to hit either a mine or a fighter I had deployed out in the universe, fly me there, blast the crap out of them, and fly me back. All almost instantly. Good times that was.

Lastly, the game is quite configurable, if you can talk the lazy Admin into doing things. I know new ships can be added in. One server I played on had a death star. It was super super expensive, and as soon as any one bought one, they immediatly went out and got it destroyed. Because it's escape pod was way overpowered, used one turn per move, and was nearly impossible to kill. I know the size of the universe can be changed (not sure of the max or min, but know it can be different). Anyway, if you start to play and you think, "this is nice, but I would like it better if such-and-such was added (or deleted or changed)", tell Trek (or post it here. As a matter of fact, we ought to be able to have several games going at once. That would be nice if we had enough interest to warrant that.

Oh, and the splash screen at the beginning tells you what sector the space dock is in (i forget atm). You can access that info anywhere, but I forget the commands. Earth/Terra is always at sector 1. And don't worry about going evil. You can make more money that way.

4. Rawrr

Rawrr Active Member JFF Member

So I've been trying this out...and having never played a game like this before...uhm interesting xD

Is there like a main starport or something that is in a certain sector or have I just got to find it?

I've been doing the port trading thing, brought a different ship, increased it's cargo hold and got a scanner, that's it really..

Any further tips of what I should be doing?

5. Trekkan

There are lots of NPC enemies out there, hidden planets with a ton of resources on them to take for free. Build your own planets, defenses and upgrade weaponry, etc. Really it's all about making money and survival, just like life. ;)

6. Rawrr

Rawrr Active Member JFF Member

SWATH bugged on me today, I had 17 days left on the trial and now I somehow have -1 days left.

Any idea how to reinstall it with a new limit or something?

7. Morigen

Morigen Member JFF Member

8. Trekkan

I know nothing about SWATH, lemme look it up...

Ok, so... never looked at that before. I only use Putty for Telnet and that does the job and is free. Of course, it won't have anything to do with TW built into it as it's just a telnet client.

9. Trekkan

Also, with that tool... you're not even playing the game anymore. heh