Tablet PC

Alchymia

JFF Member
Hey smart computer type people. I have a question.

I am looking to replace my current laptop (purchased in 2007) with something new.

Does anyone on here use a Table PC?
Since I have all my computers synced with SkyDrive, I do all my heavy computing and data analysis on my home gaming system and do not need to get a powerful one to replace my current laptop. And, I'm looking at mobility...

That being said, I do not want to get a tablet that is running a mobile OS or uses a mobile processor. I'm currently considering the Surface Pro 128gb model to replace the laptop. Does anyone have experience with this or have any thoughts on either alternatives (tablets or ultrabooks) or using tablets in general?

Any wisdom and sage advice on the matter is greatly appreciated!

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I only use a laptop for work so I can't say much (it's good, but not a gaming machine, etc).

People at work are now getting the HP revolve for their work machines, which looks pretty nice. but the screen is small. Just depend son what you need really. Sorry I can't be much help, but... I'm pretty much a desktop guy.

Chris

JFF Member
What do you intend to do on it? Typing on a tablet is a complete chore, there is no alternative to a keyboard in my mind. Did you want to game on it? Or did you just want to browse and do some word processing?

Alchymia

JFF Member
It would need to have full MS Office capability (Surface pro runs Win 8) and I would get the attached keyboard cover for use. It would be predominantly for taking notes during seminars/conferences, working up some data using office or older data analysis software, and for presentations to my lab. I would use it during off-work hours as a e-reader, browse the internet, and stream content. Gaming wise, I'd probably see if I could run older games like Civ3 or similar.

What do you intend to do on it? Typing on a tablet is a complete chore, there is no alternative to a keyboard in my mind. Did you want to game on it? Or did you just want to browse and do some word processing?

Lord Marshal

JFF Member
Well certainly a Surface would do all those things pretty easily but they are still more costly than a lower end say Asus laptop that does that same generic stuff. I would love to have a surface and I intend to get one but if you have never held one know they are heavier than you would think but still nasty ()positive) compared to an Ipad

Zynn

JFF Member
I really have no other info on this except that they make Bluetooth keyboards for tablet PCs.