So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

So I'm thinking of buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Electronics and Computing' started by Rawrr, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Rawrr

Rawrr Active Member JFF Member

So as most of you know I have been travelling on and off for the past few years and due to this I haven't been gaming in that time.

I've recently got to New Zealand and am looking at staying in one place for the next 3-6 months and even after that still been quite settled and then in about 12 months time heading back to England for my brothers wedding before setting off again.

So I was thinking of getting back into gaming with a laptop.

I'd most likely be playing things like Skyrim and Fallout 4.

So I've not brought any PC related stuff for 6+ years and I've never had a laptop apart from my little netbook I've been using for my travels.

I've been looking at something like this -

Processor: Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz
    · Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 940MX
    · Display: 15.6” CineCrystal
    · Resolution: HD (1366x768)
    · Memory: 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3L
    · Storage: 1TB HDD
    Specs taken from Acer Aspire F5 Series F5-573G-51WN - This is about 682 USD

I'd like to get a SSD instead but haven't found a machine with one without a crazy price yet.
    What are the benefits of them? Other than faster boot/load times right?

Also should I be going for a dual or quad core?

In my ideal world I would have already ordered one of these -

View: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465910991&sr=1-1&keywords=i7559-763blk

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0146DD02G/ref=psdc_565108_t3_B019G7VTGQ

But they don't deliver to NZ and it costs around 400-500 USD more here... :/ I should have come to America first :D

So unless someone knows a decent way of getting it send here or is coming on holiday here.

Any other ideas, input are welcome.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to help, but I know nothing about gaming laptops. SSDs matter in that you don't have to wait while things load and while your running through the world of Skyrim for instance, the things you are running toward, can load before you get there, so you get less hitching and otherwise watching things pop into the world.

SSDs are also much lighter/smaller so if laptop weight is a thing you care about, consider that as well. Also know, that you can add an SSD into a laptop later, so you don't have to have one now. Get the laptop, try and it see what you might want to do later.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rawrr

Rawrr Active Member JFF Member

That's good to know and keep in mind, thanks.

Yeah I did think about this, having a SSD would be nice for what you mentioned above, but I'd also need a HHD most likely for random data stuff.
    I already have two 1TB portable drives but those are pretty much full with movies, TV shows and pictures.