So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Pathfinder - Beginners Box

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games - Lobby' started by Trekkan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

I picked this up this weekend: http://paizo.com/beginnerbox

You can find this from the above link, your local gaming stores, Barnes and Nobel, etc.

Basically, it's just to get your feet wet in the Pathfinder realm/rules set. It comes with a player guide and a GM guide. Both of them are subsets of the actual players and GM guides (I have both of those as well, not sure where I'll end up, player/gm).

Anyway, if you're interested in Pathfinder, I'd suggest checking out the above link and seeing if that's something you're interested in. I ran through the basic single player adventure and it reminds me of old school D&D, so... I'm happy about that.

The players book and the guide to character creation is extremely easy to follow and really helps to make sense of things.

2. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

3. Trekkan

Thanks Deuce, nice price, wish I had found it before I bought mine. heh

4. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

Sorry bud, but hopefully some other things I am working on will help make up for it.

Currently I have been able to round up PDF's for each of the following:

Core Rulebook (62MB) (578 pages)
    Advanced Players Guide (51MB) (338 pages)
    GameMastery Guide (65MB) (321 pages)
    Bestiary 2 (56MB) (322 pages)

However as you can see, they are quite large. I don't know what Trek thinks about me uploading them, but if he wants to host them I can certainly send/upload them. I can also e-mail them to anyone interested, assuming they aren't too large for that, but I don't know what the limits are.

Still working on locating other resources, so hopefully I'll have more in the coming days. :)

Edit: I don't know if the Core Rulebook would work as a replacement for the Beginner's Box or not, but for those that don't have the money or don't want to spend it, this could be a viable option.

5. Trekkan

The core rulebooks are really what you need, the beginners box is just nice because it doesn't throw everything at you at once. So these are all good. =)

I'm cool with uploading them, just set them as attachments. If you have any trouble with that, let me know as I haven't done too much with attachments yet here.

6. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

I tried to upload each of them and it gave me the same error each time. I've attached a screenshot of the error. My guess is they are too large as it is letting me upload a picture of the error which is much smaller.

Do you have an admin option for the size limit of attachments? If that can be increased to 70MB or so I think that might be worth a shot.

7. Trekkan

Alrighty, give it a shot again, upped it to 80meg per attachment. heh You might wanna zip 'em too if you haven't already.

8. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

My bad I did forget about zipping them. Looks like that is shrinking them down to the 40MB range so we'll see how it goes.

9. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

I tried uploading the .rar and then the .pdf but both gave me the same error. Do these need to be added to an approved list of extensions that can be uploaded or something like that?

10. Trekkan

Yeah, they need to be added, however I had already added them (when I launched the site), I'm wondering if there's a PHP limit that it's hitting that's stopping it, not a forum config. I'll have to look into it today/this weekend. I'll let ya know, sorry for the hassle!

11. Trekkan

Ok, problem should be fixed. Apparently was a config issue within the Apache config, I tested and was able to upload an 80meg file now (I've set that as the max)

12. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

Sweet I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home. Thanks Trek.

13. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

Leaning towards Dwarven Fighter. Also considering Half Orc as a race and Barbarian and Ranger classes. A lot of stuff to plan long term that impacts your early decisions. Skills, Feats, Prestige Classes, etc. This game has good depth.

Anyone else been doing any reading?

14. Trekkan

Yup, I've been doing a bit of reading. I have a 1'st level adventure to drop people into as well since no one else has stepped forward to DM. I'll run it first and we can go from there, but... we'll see how well that goes. hehe

The thing is, you can have more than one character, create a new one, etc. So while you can lose XP by using another character, honestly, all of that doesn't matter that much. It's how much of a good time you have while playing and XP is just a bonus really (at least that's how I see it). The old saying me and my gaming friends always use is "It's about the adventure, not your level.", which is dead on IMO. =)

I've got so much reading to do still though it's crazy. Then I have to learn (as does everyone) how to use the online tools, etc.

15. Alchymia

Alchymia Member JFF Member

I unfortunately have not been able to do much reading at all except for a very brief glance. I've been inundated with trying to get a couple manuscripts written up and to get a bunch of reading done on my fellowship I'm doing with the tech transfer office here (kind of interesting reading on intellectual property law)...

I'm afraid I'm most likely going to play the role of the retarded cousin on any adventure that occurs... ;)

16. Hyip

Hyip Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

What is it? like cyberpunk 2020 or whatever its called?

17. Trekkan

In the sense of a table top role playing game, yes. More like D&D than anything though.

18. Hyip

Hyip Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

Seems interesting