Our Windows 10 diary. =)

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to start posting my Win10 issues/thoughts/etc in this thread. Please feel free to add to the discussion, that way we can help each other out! =)

First, you can download Win10 any time, you don't have to wait for your queue to come up. Thanks to [MENTION=7]Chris[/MENTION] for that!

Ok, installed Win10, had a couple issues, but they were generally due to my hardware/BIOS settings issues (that existed prior to Win10). Once I fixed those, things seemed to work well. Customized Win10 to look how I wanted and all good again.

Turned on the default start button (Disabled my Start8 app), did a little configuring there and I think it'll be just fine, without the need for a start menu replacement (I used to use Start8 for Win8). They have Start10 now, but... so far I don't see a need for it. Time will tell.

Icenfyre

ArcheAge Guild Master
JFF Member
First, Thanks for the thread, Trek...here's my fight...er...experience with Windows 10....

7:30a.m.: Installed Windows 10 and waited for what seemed like an hour for everything to get going. Somewhere around 8:30, everything looked good, so i tried to surf over here to say that it went well.

No dice... somehow, Win10 deleted all my ethernet settings, so I had absolutely no internet. I tried everything but a baseball bat to reset the connection, retype the passphrase, reset the DNS settings, and make sure I actually had a connection to be able to access. I even unplugged, rebooted, and reset my hubs and modem. Still no dice.

Did some research on the tablet to see if this was a known issue, and found out that ay VPN service you had installed would take out your ethernet, so you had to revert to Win8.1 to uninstall them and update all your ethernet/wireless drivers. Problem was that when I reverted, there was still no ethernet. I would have downloaded the correct drivers, but guess what? NO INTERNET...

Fast forward a couple hours, and a LOT of reading via tablet and I finally got the wireless working just enough to re-download and install Win10.

11:30am: Finally got things reinstalled, up, running, and looking good....and still NO INTERNET... Well, as you can imagine, I was terribly frustrated and ready to throw my machine out the nearest window. So, I did the only thing I could have done at this point.... I turned it off and went shopping.

So, I got home about a half hour ago (a little after 5pm my time) and fired up the machine, fully expecting to have to dismantle the damn thing and haul it to Best Buy (the only thing close to a tech on duty on a sunday afternoon.) Guess what? I've got internet, and my ethernet is running lke a champ... Still have no idea why it took that long for everything to recognize the hardware, but evidently shutting it completely down and leaving the power off for a few hours "fixed" whatever the issue was. Who knows? Maybe it was a simple case of the ethernet card just needing to be powered down and restarted.

In any case, I'll keep you posted as to how well it worls with everything else, but so far, it seems to be working...for now....

Edit: 6:30pm... couldn't figure out why my video and games were so crappy... evidently, once you finish updating, you must reinstall your video card drivers if you're using GeForce Experience....

Last edited:

Icenfyre

ArcheAge Guild Master
JFF Member
Hey! I figured out what the problem was with the ethernet card (purely by accident...)

Evidently, Win10 turned on the power saver feature and automatically turned it off if it wasn't used for (whatever) seconds. Problem is that it wasn't turning back on automatically. I turned off the power saver feature and haven't had a blip of trouble since.

Cheers!

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I had done that already on my Win8 install, so it probably carried over and that's why I didn't have that trouble. I had also gone and stopped my USB devices from shutting off, etc. So annoying!

KrazyGonk

JFF Member
I have installed and am in the middle of customizing it to how i want it to look like but so far so good. Had to restart a couple and perform a clean driver install to get it to work on both my TV and monitor (didn't like the different monitors) but that is just a minor issue. =]

What i have noticed immediately when starting up a few games (FFXIV, Magic Duels & dynasty warriors) for the first time afterwards is that the resolution changed despite my TV resolution being the same as before Win10. I fixed it on dynasty warriors but havn't tried on the other two (i prefer the increased zoom) so this may vary on a game to game basis.
Anyone else getting this?

Last edited:

panzerghost

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
You guys all sound like you're having a much better experience with Win 10 than I am. So far I still don't have a graphics driver from AMD. Cortana keeps interrupting me every time I play the movie game (and I knew it was Schindler's list too). And the whole programs are apps thing took me about 30 minutes to figure out.

Other than that it's basically windows 8.1. I'm going to shoot for a new PC build in the winter Hopefully I can get Win 10 pro on some new hardware and maybe it will be a better experience.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
nVidia!! ;)

I also turned off Cortana, so... didn't test that at all. Removed the search completely from my task bar, and basically tried to clean up the UI to my liking. Which, at this point it mostly is. Hopefully you have a better experience next time!

Deuce

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do, here's how to opt out

Look at their creepy privacy statement:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that sucks and I'll do what I can to remove it (after people have had a chance to do it first). But really... I doubt overall that it's much different than either before, or many of the same EULAs that you agree to when installing most software.

So, yeah, I don't want that happening, but also... I don't feel it's something that just started happening.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
The worst that has happened for me so far with Windows 10 was the difficulty getting Fallout 3 to work correctly.

But, now that it's running fine I'm happy with the new OS...