So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

No Opt Out for Gmail account linking!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Trekkan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

I'm a gmail user, I use Android on my phone, etc. However, Gmail is going to start linking all of their services, meaning your data together. So if you sign into YouTube, Google Docs, Google+, etc.. all of this will be linked to you. You lose all privacy and no, you can't Opt out of this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html

So, what do you think? I think I'm going to start using another service as my primary email address.

2. Duncan

Duncan Member JFF Member

I suppose if I had something to hide, I might be worried... but I've already linked many of my profiles...

3. Trekkan

It has nothing to do with anything to hide, at least not for myself. It has to do with that I don't want someone else making the decision for me as to what I share and when I share it. I don't really have online profiles and the like, nor do I want them. Forcing me to display personal information/habits/whatever online shouldn't be legal.

4. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

Google has done well with allowing the customization of security settings. Most of my stuff is set to only be visible if you have a link to the info. In the end I don't think it really matter, it's all tracked and cataloged any way.

5. Wretched

Wretched Member JFF Member

www.gmx.com great web email service that will let you port all ur emails from gmail into it. i've been using it for years.

6. Duncan

Duncan Member JFF Member

Just because the accounts are linked, doesn't mean that they all go public...

7. Alchymia

Alchymia Member JFF Member

I'm with Trekkan on this one. I want as little known/collected about me as possible. I don't have anything to hide; I just don't want all my personal information out there somewhere sitting in a database. I know they do it, but I don't want to help them with it if I can. That's why I never use FB or even have my GPS turned on on my phone, unless I need it like getting directions.

8. Duncan

Duncan Member JFF Member

They only know as much as you give them... If you have all those accounts filled out already, it's already known...
    If they were announcing that they were going to make all our info public I would totally be on your side on this, but they're not.. they're just linking accounts... You can still decide what information is hidden.

As for what information has been collected... Don't fool yourself, almost everything about you is already out there.

9. Hansbrick

Hansbrick Member JFF Member

I have an account I use just for my Droid stuff as well as G Apps. and don't publish anything else. Granted if you try hard enough you can find pretty much anything about folks. For them most part people are boring anyway. Just lock things down for who can see what.

I think it is a bad move on google's part for no other reason then people are already paranoid enough.

10. Trekkan

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/27/google_privacy_policy_concern/

Here's my problem with the entire thing.

As most people know, I like the band Slayer. What you might not know is that my boss is a very religious person. Slayer being completely anti-religion, would be at odds with his way of thinking. I like my boss and luckily for me, he likes me as well.

What if we didn't have a good relationship with each other? What if he's browsing my Google+ account and see's that I mostly watch Slayer videos on YouTube? He might change his opinion of me, deal with me differently, etc. Whether right or wrong, the fact remains that my personal life, should remain that if I so choose, personal.

Taking away that choice, is the problem. The videos I were to watch for instance, aren't anyone else's business. If Google wants to use what I watch to help target ads to me, I'm ok with that. But they shouldn't be regurgitating everything I do to anyone else, especially without my consent.

11. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

So you don't put your boss in a circle that can view your you-tube browsing habits. The permissions look pretty dang granular to me. Am I missing a component somewhere?

12. Trekkan

There's no option to display who can look at my youtube browsing, etc. The point is that there's no way to control it, they are going to do whatever they want with the information. Whether or not this is even displayed on Google+, I have no idea. The point is, the data is tied to you and you have no control over what they do with it. That's not being paranoid at all, because the fact is, you have no control over your own "virtual footprint". Sure, we don't have that much control now, but the difference here is that we can lose how that information is used.