New computer, how to set up, what do you do first?

Rawrr

JFF Member
So ordered a laptop, should be coming *hopefully* today if I am lucky, if not Monday...

My title question is about what you do when you first get a new machine...

Things like backing up, making a image, what programs do you install, anti-virus etc.
Also maybe how do you partition your HDD or not (I'll only have 1 HHD, no SSD)

All the stuff you want to get sorted on a blank machine (just OS) before you start installing & playing games etc.

Anything you wish you did but didn't?

Thanks for any tips :]

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Generally, it isn't what you install on a new laptop, but what you UNinstall. Basically, go in and uninstall almost everything they put on it. They load them full of adware, etc. All of that slows down your system, etc.

Otherwise, it is just whatever you want. For me things like Chrome, LastPass, Notepad++, etc... those are things I install first. But just depends on your needs and wants really.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I second Trek's comment of uninstall all the things lol If it comes with a free year of whatever anti virus I tend to use that while it's free then switch to one of many free ones that are also good. I use AVG but their pop-ups have been annoying as of late. I also like maleware bytes and spybot. But, I'm probably not the best person to talk to about that stuff, they're just my old faithfuls.

Rawrr

JFF Member
Generally, it isn't what you install on a new laptop, but what you UNinstall. Basically, go in and uninstall almost everything they put on it. They load them full of adware, etc. All of that slows down your system, etc.
Indeed that stuff is pretty annoying and goes without saying.

I use AVG but their pop-ups have been annoying as of late. I also like maleware bytes and spybot.
Jeez I know right! I have used AVG for YEARS, but like you said, lately they have so many pop-ups.
I will be using a different anti-virus on my new machine, not sure which yet.

I'll get Malwarebytes also.

Anything you guys suggest if I wanted to start fresh again in the future? I haven't done it in years apart from installing a completely new OS, does Windows 10 have a good feature for this or am I better off with a different program on a usb or something?

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 has a "reset" feature that'll basically make your windows a fresh install without deleting all of your files. Speaking of which, I might want to check into that myself as I forgot about it until you just mentioned it. =)