Need assistance with ASUS motherboard configuration please

Zynn

JFF Member
It is an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with Dual Intelligent Processors 5 and AI Suite 3 software.
The Intel Core i7 4790K has a Corsair H80i Water cooler on it (The pea method was used with some Arctic Silver 5). I've installed many processors and cooling systems over the years, so I am confident about the installation.

I put just a tiny nudge in the memory voltage so the Haswell can use the 2133 Mhz memory.
Other than that, I don't want any overclocking.

I did the "one-click" optimization for performance with the ASUS software. I want the processor to do what it can safely do, without overclocking itself to do it, if that makes sense.

When I rendered HD video using Adobe Premiere, the processor temp went up to 85c for most of the render period.
I'm not sure what the safe operating range of that CPU is, but I don't think I like 85c.

Normal idle temp is about 30c in a comfy warm office room.

Is this normal?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:

panzerghost

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Two things; I believe the h80 comes with thermal paste already on it, did you remove that first? As for the one click overclock from ASUS, I've never had much luck with it myself. To answer your question I would say yes 85C is way too hot, even my air cooled processors have never gone over 46ishC.

complexmath

JFF Administrator
Staff member
JFF Supporter
I thought the one-click optimize thing did overclock the CPU. 85C is still pretty hot though.

Zynn

JFF Member
As stated in my original post, when I installed the cooler, I first removed the stock paste film and put on some AC5.
When the temp got that high, it was from rendering HD video. I have never had the temp get anywhere near that high playing Far Cry 4 on max settings.

I was asking because I never usually stared at CPU/GPU/system temps before and thought I would check it out. From what I read on hardware forums, the CPU can go up to 95c before it throttles itself down. I have never got it that hot.

Maybe [MENTION=1]Trekkan[/MENTION] knows something about this?

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I know that the CPUs can generally hit the 90's without a problem. However other than that information, I really don't know. We sell 'em, but... that's about as far as my knowledge goes. heh