Multiple Monitors: Windows puts all apps on single monitor when waking from sleep mode

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
This has been bugging the hell out of me for a while. Basically, I have two monitors and I have specific apps and icons that I keep on those monitors. When I got my new monitor, every time my monitors (not PC) would wake up from sleep mode, all icons/app would shift to the primary monitor. So I'd have to drag everything back to the other, etc... really annoying.

Anyway, searching the internet today I found a clue that led me to the solution.

Win -> R, regedit

Find the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

There are a couple ways to fix this. Basically what you are looking at are your monitor configurations. Find the one that is the way you want it, meaning it shows both of your monitors under 00 and 01, etc. You'll get the idea when you look at your config.

Delete all of the other reg keys under "Configuration", except the one that matches the setup you want.

Reboot

You should be good.

You can also delete all of the keys under configuration, reset your monitor configs and you'll be good to go. Basically windows writes multiple entries under that reg key, and when your monitors come out of sleep mode, it grabs the first one that matches your config. Which, in my case, was always the wrong one.

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Unfortunately my work computer (4 monitors) has the registry re-pushed by GPO on reboot :( I used to enjoy changing the lock screen image as well and can't anymore :(