So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Miniatures?

Discussion in 'Board Games - Lobby' started by Dsan, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Dsan

Dsan Active Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

Board games can be a rather broad category...

As many of you know, I'm an old Warhammer 40k tabletop player. Though not terribly active in the hobby anymore, I still occasionally play, collect, and paint models.

Having spent semi-considerable time in game shops I've come to like miniatures of all kinds. I like to see how people have assembled or converted a model, how it's painted etc, and if it has any kind of backstory... whether in creation or game-based story.

So, any of you have pics of models or miniatures that you really like?
    (I'll post a couple later to get the thread started.)

The non-video game parts of the website are so bare! Some of you have to have other hobbies you're hiding. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

Hey Bio, yeah the other forums are a bit bare, still working on things as far as the website goes, etc. Thanks for helping jumpstart things!

I have some miniatures, but they are just the old crappy ones, non-painted, etc. heh I used them back in the day when I played D&D, etc. (I still love that game actually) But they were just placeholders on a battle mat, etc. I've never used/seen close up well done miniatures, so some pics would be cool. =)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hansbrick

Hansbrick Member JFF Member

I had a distributorship for Games workshop for about 3 years and have quite a few miniatures. When I closed I kept quite a bit off stuff in all states of painting and or assembly. I painted good enough to play with but not for well enough for just display. The cool thing about miniatures is that even if you just do base colors on units as soon as they are in ranks they still look pretty cool as whole unit. I wish I had more time to paint but between RL and gaming modeling and painting have just taken a back seat.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dsan

Alrighty, I tried to take some pics of a couple models. Despite having a 14mp camera the images are rather unclear. Obviously I need to dig through the camera options more, etc. The pics looked awesome on the camera's little LCD. :p

I get kind of lazy on the bases. I'm not sure I have a single base completed to this day...

First one is a Chaos Lord on a Bike. Currently my favorite model - made up of leftover bits from 3 different kits. Again, it's quite fuzzy, and some details can't really be made out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a Chaos Lord on a jump pack, with lightning claws. This one is straight out of the box, except for the missing face - still working on a modification for this model.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the last one for now... And old Tau Ethereal that seemed perfect for a jedi-esque color scheme.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had some more pics but they were even more fuzzy. :/

I'll have to get some photos of my brother's models sometime too. He has quite a number of excellent mods and paint jobs. Oddly, one of my favorite of his models is a little female dwarf in plate armor, from some line of D&D minis.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dsan

Ok... slightly different settings, slightly better image. slightly.
    I suck at taking pics I guess. lol
    Chaos Lord on bike, again
    Khorne Champion from Warhammer Fantasy

Not sure which way is better, links or "spoilers," but I'm thinking links.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trekkan

Nice work, much better than anything I could hope to do. =)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Winin

Winin New Member

Very nice! I've toyed with minis over the years: WH40K, Warmachine/Hordes, and Heroscape, but never got any of my friends into them. I'm going to train my kids to play with me though. ;)

I've painted a few, but am in awe of folks who can do such a good job. Are you using macro mode (the one with the flower usually)? Other than that, make sure you have lots of light and avoid the flash.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dsan

I've tried all kinds of different modes on my camera, and without flash definitely. The lighting isn't very good inside even though I have fluorescents... I'll have to try again outside on a clear day.
    It's getting harder to find anyone that plays tabletop games. Games Workshop in particular keeps raising prices frequently. If they'd slow down on making new stuff all the time the cost of production would go down, they could lower prices, and profit through volume - which would also be good for their customers by way of lower prices and more people to play with. Sometimes it seems like they're targeting a high income bracket only.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Winin

Winin New Member

The local game store used to have an active bunch that did WH40K and Warmachines/Hordes, but they don't have hours that work well for someone with a full time job. The bay area has a good Heroscape community, and that seems more reasonable price-wise than the others, though not as deep a combat system. I looked at some Hordes stuff recently and was pretty shocked at the prices. You are right about that. They aren't going to draw kids and other new blood into the hobby at that rate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dsan

Ah there's that too... not a lot of game shops anymore either. The nearest to here is in Killeen, which is virtually connected to Fort Hood. They seem to stay relatively active there (and have the store hours to support it) but I expect their business to surge as more soldiers are brought home. That's always been good for the hobby around here.

I still try to pick up a piece here or there, as expensive as it is. With Skyrim taking up time and TOR hitting soon, I'm afraid 40k will just have to take a break. Besides, I hear there's a new edition in the works that's supposed to undo some of the crappiness of 5th.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Silifaira

Silifaira JFF Administrator JFF Member

My son is getting into this. He has chaos space marines and boy, this is an expensive hobby! We have two game stores nearby, so I guess we are lucky.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hansbrick

Hansbrick Member JFF Member

Have you taken him to the Games workshop store down off 44th in Lynnwood?. They moved out of the mall about 2 years ago. I miss having a shop but it's rough to make a living at. I need to get back into painting just not enough time in the day. And yes its a expensive hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Silifaira

Silifaira JFF Administrator JFF Member

Yup... He and his friends love it there. Also, ernies games in woodinville, though trying to get service is impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dsan

You could always try an online auction site to see what others are trying to get rid of. I'd also recommend looking at a different brand of paints, like Reaper or Vallejo. Both of those are cheaper by volume and work just fine. I actually did ok with the $1 paints from walmart - just takes a little water thinning to get 'em usable. But yes, the models are incredibly expensive. But once you own them you don't have to buy them again. They try to get customers to repurchase by way of new rules and models but virtually no one would hold it against you to use an old model.

Good luck. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dsan

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dsan

Ok, taking pictures outside resulted in FAR superior images. This is a repost of the two Chaos Lord models. The images are so clear now that I can see my plethora of flaws. ><
    Chaos Lord on bike, one - two
    Chaos Lord w/ lightning claws, one - two

More another time...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trekkan

Nice work! I do not have the skill or patience to do that, wish I did. They look pretty cool. =)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dsan

Finally got another project started. Hopefully the urge to update will help me get the painting done. http://imgur.com/a/LQXd5

Interesting story that prompted my return to the hobby.

Short version:

I went to a local comic shop with a buddy to find a gift for his friend. People were playing 40k in the back and I stopped over to look. One of them was my best friend in middle school and parts of high school... hadn't seen him in over 10 years! It was almost as if we picked up where we left off. So... I hop over there when I can to get in some games and hang out. :)

• Like Like x 1