So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Looking for a new monitor

Discussion in 'Electronics and Computing' started by Trekkan, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

So, I'm looking for a new monitor and could use some input from peeps. =)

The conditions I have are:
    • G-Sync
    • IPS
    That's it. So, does anyone have any recommendations? I've been reading reviews and whatnot, but wanted to get your input as well before making a decision.

I'd like a curved monitor, but as I don't only game on my PC, I have some concerns as to how well that works out when doing other things than gaming. I don't want graphics to look warped, etc. No idea. Anyway so any input on curved vs. flat monitors would be great too!

2. complexmath

complexmath JFF Administrator Staff Member JFF Supporter

I have this 24" 1080p AOC monitor and love it. I don't think you can find a curved monitor at less than 27", and that's into the 2K+ range which in turn means a super GPU (seems like you want a 980ti to run above 1080p on Ultra).

3. Trekkan

I checked and can't tell if that's a TN, IPS or something else display?

Also, this is the one I'm currently considering:

View: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0173PEX20

The pipe dream is:

View: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34/dp/B016GNX4SE

One of the things that I want to do is be able to have the clarity without the lag, I think it'll help with my vertigo issues as well.

My video card specs say that it'll basically support two monitors at that resolution at the same time at 60Hz. So... I think it'll work fine anyway.

4. complexmath

complexmath JFF Administrator Staff Member JFF Supporter

It's a TN screen. I decided on it after reading a Tom's Hardware review. I considered 1440p at the time, but from what people were saying it sounded like the 970 may struggle a bit on Ultra at that resolution, so I decided to play it safe. If you decide on the AOC, be aware that there's a non g-sync version with almost the same product ID and last I checked, Amazon had them mixed up. NewEgg is the safe bet for that one.

I will say that g-sync in general has definitely helped with my motion sickness. I couldn't quantify how much, but for games where the issue was framerate-related (as opposed to headbob-related), I no longer walk away from my computer feeling a bit off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Thod

Thod THUNDERLOINS!!!! JFF Member

check out vizio they have some nice ones on the market right now.

6. Malsirian

Malsirian Member JFF Member

You're pipe dream monitor looks amazing. I really want my next monitor to be a curved ultra wide. Last time I looked there weren't any with G-sync but that was quite a while ago. Maybe if I put off my upgrade long enough they will be cheap enough to actually buy one. :)

7. Trekkan

I ended up going with the non-pipe dream and so far... OMG, so nice! =) I had no idea graphics could look so good!

• Like Like x 1