So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Listening to your own music on your phone, remotely. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Trekkan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

So, currently I have Pandora on my phone (Droid Charge) and that syncs via bluetooth with my car. This works really well and I'm happy with it for the most part. The only thing I'm not all that happy with is Pandora and the limited skips, etc.

What I'm planning on doing is setting up a server at my house and then broadcast via Shoutcast. Then, I can connect to that PC on my phone and do whatever I want. Anyone have any ideas/input on this? Are there better solutions out there?

I've checked out AudioGalaxy (you basically give up all rights to your data there) and also Orb (not bad, but hosted solution you have to log into, not really supported much it seems).

As I used to run an Internet radio station, shoutcast isn't new to me (although the new version is different), but I should be able to get it doing what I want and have fun doing it. But.. if there's something better I should be using, I might just do that and make my life easy. heh

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dsan

Dsan Active Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

I haven't tried out IheartRadio yet... supposed to be similar to Pandora with different options. But if you already have a large music library I could see setting up your own personal feed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trekkan

Yeah, the primary purpose is to be able to do what I want, when I want. So no limited skips, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

I have been happy with the google music service.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trekkan

Yeah, nothing really wrong with it, but I don't want to upload my music there. Being Google, I have no doubt that they are harvesting all sorts of things from it. I think I'm just going to end up basically writing a new radio station app, but lock it down to me. heh

• Like Like x 1
  6. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

Yeah, there are plenty of streaming apps out there but unless you dissect the code it's hard to tell if they are harvesting data. I don't have any pirated music so I don't mind dumping mine up. Even though my music is up there I find myself listening to pandora more than not. I need to find out if I can download my google music to my phone to play it locally like in the gym and whatnot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trekkan

You can, there's a google music app for Android anyway. But, regardless of the source of the music, my problem is that places like AudioGalaxy completely take everything and can do what they want with it. They can tell people what you're listening to, what's on your playlists, use your music, images, etc... so you give up all rights to everything.

• Like Like x 1