Into the Woods!

Icenfyre

ArcheAge Guild Master
JFF Member
I took the kiddos to see Into the Woods this weekend.

It's an "ok" movie for kids, with a few scenes that may be a bit intense for the really young ones, but my 10 year old and her 8 year old friend really enjoyed it.

The thing about this movie is that there are a lot of undertones that kids won't catch. There's the usual theme of "do what you should and you will go far" and "Don't stray or bad things will happen" and of course, the big fairy tale overtones of Cinderella, Jack in the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel. HOWEVER... They stayed true to some of the more "gory" details of Grimm's fairy tales, but without actually showing the gory parts. They also let Johnny Depp go places with his character that for an adult are just plain CREEPY in a "want some candy, little girl?" way.

I will say that Chris Pine and Billy Magnussen (sp) had one of the most over-the-top, silly, funny, overacted, ham-it-up and chew the scenery moments I have seen in many many years. I was laughing so damn hard that I was crying and looking for a restroom when the scene was over.

So, if you go see the movie in the theaters, remember that very young children might be a bit scared of the dark and gloomy woods with a few monsters, and that some of the subliminal situations are kind of dark even for adults.

Have fun!