So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

HELP: Fast but slow internet speeds.

Discussion in 'Electronics and Computing' started by Rawrr, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Rawrr

Rawrr Active Member JFF Member

So I've had this new laptop for 2 weeks or so now and everything has been working fine, no problems at all.

But last night while playing ARK, all of a sudden the internet speeds just disappear and I get high ping, then in the morning it was fine and all day fine, until mid afternoon (and still bad now at 23:00)

It's not just ARK or other games (Tested WoW, same thing), my internet browsing is destroyed, I am lucky if a page will load.

As far as I am aware no new updates or anything has installed.
    I have disabled the windows firewall (Didn't realise it was even on) but that didn't seem to affect anything previously.

The speednet test shows around 12/13Mps download and 1Mps upload and a ping of 24, which to my knowledge should be fine and what confuses me is those stats seem fine but the internet speed is still nothing.
    Only other person really using the internet is my girlfriend who would just be browsing on her phone/laptop or possibly on Netflix, but she also says the speeds are slower.

It's Windows 10.
    I have Avast Free Antivirus.
    Wireless connection.

Let me know if you need more info.

Has anyone got any idea what is going on?

Thanks!

I was able to post this, but then when I tried to edit, it would not load...
    Also even when I get d/c (Timed out I think it says) from ARK, the WiFi is still connected.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. Rawrr

Also to note, I can't contact the ISP because I didn't set it up and the guy that did is away right now.

3. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

I've noticed this on my gaming setup as well Rawrr. For some reason my wireless N adapter will only connect at 54 MB and it slows everything down. What kind of actual speeds are you seeing on speedtest and fast.com?

4. Rawrr

Fast.com = 13Mbps
    Speedtest = 12.54 download, 1.14 upload

I forgot to post on this, turned out my girlfriend was uploading photos and that used up all the upload speed and seemed that was causing the problem.. still odd as I've never had that issue before, I guess the WiFi is just that bad here.

5. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

I figured out my issue. Looks like the kindles in the house were connecting at a lower speed and this forced the router to drop it's total speed thus limiting my laptop/desktop's wireless connections.

New AC router and now I'm at
    Fast.com = 20 Mbps
    Speedtest = 12.5 Mbps up 5 down.

This is with 2 kindle fire sticks streaming netflix and an xbox 360 downloading several overly large Destiny updates...

What speed are the devices on your network connecting at? What kind of router are you using? Are you using open source firmware like DD-WRT?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1