So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Greed Monger Going Voxel

Discussion in 'Greed Monger' started by Deuce, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

From James - Lead Dev:

Hop on over and voice your opinion: Link

2. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

That second paragraph is exactly stuff that EQN has already implemented. I don't like the idea of GM going voxel, personally, because they'll never do it as good as EQN, in my opinion. So just focus on what they already have, a huge sandbox crafting world and get something out there for us to test, instead of just implementing more stuff that'll take even longer to get working. Does that make sense? What's going to make them more special than EQN if this is the case?

3. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

I hear what you are saying and that was my first thought also. Since we don't really know all of the features that EQ Next will have, it's hard to compare just yet. For instance I know GM will have underground mining and the ability to essentially create anything you want underground. Has there been any mention of EQ Next allowing underground creation yet? That may be one difference and a pretty big one if it holds true, in my opinion anyway.

I am also hoping that the housing system GM had been working on will continue to be the one they will use, as it was much like the UO custom housing system which I was always a fan of. I have a question to James on the GM forums regarding this. EQ Next will have voxel housing, so this may be another big difference if GM continues with their in-house housing system. So far GM has only announced the terrain going voxel, nothing regarding housing.

4. Dsan

Dsan Active Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

I tend to agree with Lisha. It seems like they're losing focus and trying to find new shinies instead of working on what they have and what they planned for. They need to stop worrying about their competition and focus on their own goals... they don't have the experience or resources to go head-to-head against the likes of SOE and others.

5. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

What little faith I had left is pretty much gone.

Sounds like they don't have a dev plan or at least aren't able to stick with it. With all of the engine changes and whatnot, there's just... nothing there and it's been over a year. At least from my perspective there is nothing there.

I already plan on playing EQN and EQL and at this stage, #1 : I'll be able to play both of those before GM is even close to seeing the light of day, and #2 : I won't have a reason to play GM if it does release as I'll already be playing the other two games that I "assume" will be better and have more polish and features.

So unless they can produce:

• A unique game
    • A quality game
    • A timely release
    • A solid dev plan
    • Actual software

I don't see much point in them even developing it any further, just stop now and tell me you wasted away my money. That might be a little harsh, but the fact is, they took money for product and have really produced nothing useful at all for it at this point. Now they want to change it up again and by the time they decide they don't like something else, or something else is the new hotness... is this going to happen again? Time will tell. I'll gladly admit I was wrong if they can produce the above. But... I have a feeling I won't be admitting any such thing.

6. Zynn

Zynn Member JFF Member

I appears that they have made and are making so many changes that the people who have pledged money are no longer getting the product they pledged for in the first place.
    They really should have ironed/planned all of this out before getting on Kickstarter to start raking in the cash.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  7. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

I hate living underground, as anybody that's played 7 Days with me knows, so I can't say for sure if EQN will have that feature. But that doesn't sway my opinion. If GM offered an underground mining/dwelling option, I wouldn't use it anyways. I don't see why you couldn't build underground though in EQN, it's all voxels, so why not? I agree with Zynn and Trek completely. I was at work so couldn't put it all into a cohesive statement but, I agree.

I realize you're in it all the way Deuce, but I don't think the game I paid for is what they're making anymore. And, I haven't even been able to touch it the year+ since I gave them my money. Granted, I didn't spend that much on it, so I'm willing to just cut my losses. I realize these things take time, but there's nothing. No solid game plan. And the alpha(joke)we got from them wasn't even playable. Which, doesn't matter now because they want to change it completely, again. I'll be moved on to EQN by the time this one comes out, if it comes out =/ And I really hate to say that.

8. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

As for the underground part, I certainly don't want to live underground, I just like the mining aspect to be in a game.

The money isn't that big of deal. People go on one week vacations that cost that much and a week later it's over and the money is gone. Anyway there will always be the opportunity to sell the land if it doesn't pan out the way we want or if we're knee deep into something else at the time.

I've been hoping to find a game where we can all get together again. It's been a long time since there was one game where all or close to all of us were playing together so I was hoping this would be it, but if it turns out to be EQN, that would be just fine as well. If that's where everyone else goes, then I probably will too.

9. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

The difference here is... you would of had the vacation. ;)

But anyway, I'd rather the game be done and done well and if that happens, awesome. But at this point, I don't expect to see any return on my investment.

I plan on doing something like me and Sili did when we started DHV for Darkfall, for EQN, so... hopefully we'll get some new blood and whatnot as well. I wouldn't mind doing the same thing for ArchAge either really, but I haven't seen enough release information yet to start that up.