So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Google's Project Fi

Discussion in 'Electronics and Computing' started by Deuce, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

Has anyone ever used Google's Project Fi wireless service? I just signed up today and was curious about anyone else's experience. It was formerly only available by invitation so it's still fairly new to a degree. A couple of things worth mentioning:
    • Wi-Fi rather than cellular connections used when possible, meaning no data usage on your plan while using Wi-Fi. When Wi-Fi is unavailable, your phone chooses the best connection between Sprint and T-Mobile 4G LTE networks.
    • Any unused data is credited back to your account each month. So if your plan is for 2GB per month and you only use 1.75 GB, you get a credit back that month.
    This is my first dive into the smart phone world so I thought this would be a great way to start since I likely won't be using all that much data.

2. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

Sounds pretty cool @Deuce, you'll have to let us know how it goes! I haven't had time to read into how it works, but it sounds like it could be dangerous in that you'd be connecting to random Wi-Fi connections. Who knows though, I thought DSL was impossible when I first heard about it 20 years ago. ;)

3. Malsirian

Malsirian Member JFF Member

On the page you linked they claim there's over 1 million wifi hot spots and that it's secure but they don't give any more info than that (that I saw). Comcast also claims a ton of wifi hot spots and all they do is open up all their residential customers routers to anyone who else who is a customer with them. They apparently give you the option to opt out but I don't think they make it easy. So I don't know if google is counting residential users as part of their wifi network but if so I don't see how that helps a whole lot.

And when I checked the coverage map for my area all it told me was that they had 4g LTE coverage here, didn't say anything about wifi. I wonder how available the wifi network actually is. I dunno it could be great, cause even though you think you won't be using too much data, you might surprise yourself (I know I use a lot more than I anticipated at first. :anguished:) and being able to use wifi could save you a ton of data usage buuuut if wifi isn't available it's all going on your data plan anyway. Course if you are gonna use it mostly at home and just occasionally when you're out it's all going through your own wifi and it won't matter a whole lot.

4. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

Here is what their FAQ says regarding Wi-Fi connections:

What types of Wi-Fi hotspots will Project Fi automatically connect me to?
    Project Fi connects you to free, open Wi-Fi networks that do not require any action to get connected (such as, enter a password, watch an ad, or check-in). We use a network quality database to help determine which networks are high quality and reliable.

How does Project Fi help protect my data when I'm on public Wi-Fi?
    When Project Fi automatically connects you to an open Wi-Fi network, we help protect your data by sending it through a secure connection, known as a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This secure connection protects your data from being looked at by other users on the open Wi-Fi network.

I don't think this is something Google would want to drop the ball over i.e. secure Wi-Fi connections, so I put stock into what they are saying. The more I read about this the more it sounds like the big four carriers might come around to Wi-Fi connections as well. Someday it could be the norm rather than the exception.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Malsirian

Malsirian Member JFF Member

Just re-read my post and it sounds more negative than I intended. I agree with you and think the bigger carriers will come around to wifi eventually as well. As smart as Google is I wouldn't be surprised that Project Fi worked out really well for them.

If you do decide to use it lemme know how you like it. :blush:

6. Deuce

Deuce Member JFF Member

No worries, I didn't take anything as a negative.

I have already signed up, should have my Nexus by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it goes. :smiley:

• Like Like x 1