First ever Kickstarter lawsuit, by Washington state.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134212-Washington-State-Files-First-Ever-Lawsuit-Over-Failed-Kickstarter

I'm happy about this really, I know I've lost some money on kickstarters that are crap. I go into it with the expectation that I'm going to never get anything for my money though so the loss isn't so bad. But that doesn't mean I don't want what I paid for. So for those that are simply out to take people's money and run, this is a wakeup call for them. Hopefully it's prosecuted fully and they win.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I read this yesterday. I am also curious to see the outcome of it. It made me remember that I was going to request my money back from Greed Monger, so I went to the site and apparently its a difficult process to get your money back after your project has been backed. Remember, GM's release date was end of 2012 lol luckily I only backed for $25 so its not a huge loss, but still...where do they draw the line onit. You know? How many years does a game producer have to give us what we paid for? Lol

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Yup, Greedmonger is one I want my money back for as well... I haven't tried to get it as I consider it a loss. But... yeah. I don't think anyone intentionally ripped anyone off, just that they don't have the ability/people/funds/whatever to make it all actually happen. That and every time there's an update from them it's "We decided to change everything and go a different route! Really, you'll like it, we swear! This time.... really..."

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I think if a company meets it's funding than it should be legally obligated to produce and ship the product.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I think if a company meets it's funding than it should be legally obligated to produce and ship the product.
The problem with that is... let's say they don't. If they are legit, they've spent all the money attempting to create whatever it is you sent them money for. You could sue them, and then what? They have no money, so there's nothing to sue for. Plus, they'd just declare bankruptcy and fold the "company" they had everything under.

And that's if they are legit... if they aren't... you're not going to get anything back anyway. The best thing that can happen is they are gone after like in the above article. So really, there's just no way to "win" if they don't produce. At least, no way that I can think of.

vincymull

He didn't miss deadline. He's been giving us excuses about why it's delayed (money was misappropriated). We asked for good faith proof he is actually working on it, but he refused. Hasn't responded in almost a year.