So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Email Solution Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Electronics and Computing' started by Trekkan, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

Currently I use Gmail for my email (and plan to continue to do so). What I then do at home is use Outlook 2013 tied to that Gmail account.

This works great, but the problem is, once I move an email out of the primary inbox and into a folder (which is how I categorize my emails), they are removed from the Gmail account and only stored locally then.

So, that leaves me with my .PST files for Outlook. I then use Carbonite to backup all of my PC files, so there's no real worry about losing them exactly, but... There are issues such as I can't find those emails when I'm not on my home PC, etc.

So, my question is, does anyone have any suggestions?

Ultimately what I want to do is keep my email backed up somewhere, be able to easily categorize it and access it from anywhere.

2. Dsan

Dsan Active Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

I used to use Thunderbird all the time. Set up the account as IMAP if you can so it synchronizes between client and server. Not sure if there is a backup option but I can't imagine leaving that out.

As far as I know Thunderbird is technically no longer in development, I assume to be released by a future project. But, it does have most of the features of a full email client and schemes/mods available on the internet.

3. SlipWraith

SlipWraith Member JFF Member

Trekk, I think Dsan is correct, you can set outlook to use IMAP and you shouldn't have the issue any more.

4. Chris

Chris Member JFF Member

Came here to say use IMAP.

5. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I've been using IMAP to connect to Google. I guess the really issue is that I move files out of that folder to another local PST folder. Guess I can't do that anymore... I'll have to mess with it and see how it goes with creating folders within the IMAP'd account. Since Google doesn't really have folders... I have no idea how that'll work. Will try it tonight.