So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Day 1: What do you love, what could use work?

Discussion in 'The Witcher 3' started by Alicia, May 19, 2015.

1. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

So, since a few of us have been able to play the game now I wanted to put a Day One thread here and get some of your thoughts on gameplay. No story spoilers here. As for me, on day one I sat there in awe of the weather effects, ambient game sounds, music and overall atmosphere. I was just sitting at windmill for a while staring off into the sunset enjoying the view and the sounds of the old, creaking windmill, on it's last leg. Then of course I raided the house next to it for some sweet hidden treasure. :D The story is interesting even as someone that's not already played through the Witcher games or read the books. Also, this starting area already has so much to do and it's just a small taste of what's to come, so that's a scary thought =X

However, I do have some minor complaints and wonder if it is just me having these issues. First off, I crashed before downloading the new nvidia drivers, so don't forget to do that... Also, is anybody that's playing on m+kb having lag issues between pressing buttons and actions occurring? Especially in combat and selecting signs, sometimes I have to go into my signs menu twice to try to select the sign because it doesn't register the first time I try to select it. This also applies towards pressing sword attack buttons as well. I don't know if this is meant to be the case or I'm having input issues. Also, Geralt moves like the characters in Mass Effect, sliding around sideways and very much controller based, but I can handle that, at least the key binds are better than DAI was at launch, however, it does feel like an afterthought, imo, like most games that are console/pc. These are minor complaints that may or may not be me being picky and may get fixed.

How do you guys feel?

2. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

My complaints are unfortunately exactly what I was worried about. The movement controls are 100% console. You can't turn around in place, you have to run forward (usually too far), back up, run to the left (or right, or forward again), attempt to turn around again, and then pick some flowers. heh

I'm getting more used to it, but getting used to it, doesn't make it okay for the controls to suck.

I do not seem to have the same problem Lisha is having though with controls being unresponsive.

Otherwise, there's a lot to learn, so part of that is simply the standard RPG learning curve.

One last thing I don't like is the menu system. It's far from the worst, but it's not very friendly.

3. Alicia

I love overstepping a flower and then the run around to get back to it and try again lol typical.

About that RPG learning curve, having soooo much random crap in my inventory and not knowing what I need to sell, what I need to dismantle, what I need to keep, etc. I went broke dismantling stuff before I even realized "I probably don't need this many of this raw material anyways...."

And that menu system. Also, not the worst, but not good either. Is there a way to hit the map and just get back out of it without having to spam the escape key?

4. Trekkan

In my post above, I was attempting to word this exact issue and for whatever reason, could not. So... not that I am aware of. You can't hold down the ESC key either, you have to keep hitting it.

I've also got into a menu that way, that I've not been able to get into before. It's not anything special, it looks like there was an alternate menu system or something at some point, and the ESC out of windows is broken and displays it sometimes.

5. Alicia

I do seem to remember a tutorial that opens up the menu by pressing the Backspace key as an alternate way to get into your skills menu? Overall I hope the menu gets a tweak, and I'm currently posting in the thread on the forums about the input delay, someone said it's like a 300ms input delay? *shrugs* I hope it gets fixed cuz it's annoying.

6. Alicia

FYI, I have to check this when I am able to to see if it fixes any of my issues with movement but the forums suggest turning on hardware acceleration in the Video options in the game if you're having problems. I dunno HOW this helps but I'll try it when I get off work.

7. Trekkan

Hmm, I just gave that a shot and I swear it's better... Give it a shot like you said, and let me know what you think.

8. Dsan

Dsan Active Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

I also have input lag with m+kb and controller. I forgot to turn on hardware cursor so we'll see if that helps.
    The movement is terrible. The bulky, somewhat uncontrolled, way he moves around is fine for most characters but Geralt is a highly agile fighter... it just doesn't feel right.

Right now those are my biggest problems. Because of the way he moves, and with input lag, the combat is quite difficult. I'm only playing on the default setting and I can barely survive 2 or 3 drowners - depressing.

9. Malsirian

Malsirian Member JFF Member

Bah! That's why I didn't get it yet, I was afraid of that. I had the same problem with W2. That's too bad. Thanks for sharing though!