Build opinion, please...

Zynn

JFF Member
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sDVS

Here is what I am running now (I know, time for an upgrade):

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
8GB RAM from 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB

This system has served me well, and still does, as long as I don't want to play the latest games in much higher than mid to high settings... forget about ultra. Also, I need more computing power for my 3D work.

I'm trying out an SSD with the 256GB Samsung running the OS and important programs and games. The other HD is for storage, but fast enough to stream videos, music, etc..

I think having 4GB DDR5 on the new video card will help a lot with graphics work, and somewhat extend the longevity of the card being an R9 270X.

The case I really want is about $130, but since I don't build systems to show off or anything, I went with the lower-priced, yet still decent-looking case.
Here is the case I love... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-c70militarygreen

While I like high-end gaming, I don't have a high-end gaming budget, so this is what I built on the website. In fact, it may take me a couple more months to squirrel away the money for this build, as long as things, like car repairs and such don't pop up.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Is a 650w power supply really adequate for that? Maybe components are more efficient now?
Looks pretty nice, though I can't comment much on your requirements, etc.

Nevermind showing off... I think that case looks awesome.

Zynn

JFF Member
Pcpartpicker.com calculated the watts of that build at 392W, so I hope that power supply would suffice. I'm not running dual video cards, and the SSD uses less power due to no moving parts.

Yeah, the case isn't bad, the military in me just really wanted the other one.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I was going to suggest you get an i7 and not an i5 if you want a gaming rig, but it seems you've already updated to that in the link.

Other than that, it's personal preference only, but I'd get an nVidia card and not ATI, but... again that's preference.

Otherwise, it looks good and is about what I would expect to pay for an entirely new gaming PC.

As for the proc, I *MAY* be able to help you out, I just need to consider my own build (and Sili's). If I do one this year, as we're limited on purchases here at work. I looked up my cost and it's $173.25 for the proc you listed in the link for your build.

Zynn

JFF Member
I was going to suggest you get an i7 and not an i5 if you want a gaming rig, but it seems you've already updated to that in the link.

Other than that, it's personal preference only, but I'd get an nVidia card and not ATI, but... again that's preference.

Otherwise, it looks good and is about what I would expect to pay for an entirely new gaming PC.

As for the proc, I *MAY* be able to help you out, I just need to consider my own build (and Sili's). If I do one this year, as we're limited on purchases here at work. I looked up my cost and it's $173.25 for the proc you listed in the link for your build.

The specs I listed, containing the i5, is what I am on right now. The pcpartpicker link shouldn't have even had an i5 in it, unless something was glitching.

I wanted to go NVidia this time around for the PHYSX, but the comparable card with the closest specs and benchmarks to the card I listed is $60 more. :(
Here is the link to the NVidia card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125494

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
The partpicker lists an i7 as the first item in the list. Honestly, I'd save up a little longer and get the i7, an i5 just isn't a gaming proc. I use an i5 in my work laptop and it's a good proc, but I can tell the difference when I go home and work on my PC with an i7. Of course, it's entirely up to you and what you think you can budget. =)

The nVidia card you listed is basically what I have (I have a 770 though), and it's an awesome card and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I play all the games I play on high, etc. Since I don't use ATI cards, I can't really compare them at all. I admit to some level of nVidia fanboyism... ;)

Odds are, I can get you a proc if you want. If I can, the i7-4770k for the price I listed above. The i5 proc you listed isn't on our website for employees so I can't price that one out for it, but the range on the i5's is 92.00 - 130.00. All 4'th gen procs and the lowest priced one is 3.2GHz

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Ohh one other thing I noticed. You have 16gig of ram listed. I never, ever hit my 8gig... I have 16gig of ram and I just don't use it. Especially with 4gig on the graphics card. No idea how much that offloads from the main RAM, but... I'm usually at around 6gig of ram usage.

I know you do graphics stuff, but it still might be overkill. What you might want to consider is just getting 8gig of ram and seeing how that works for you. Then if you decide you want more ram later, spend the money then. That would probably help you spend the savings in other places on your build.

Zynn

JFF Member
Ohh one other thing I noticed. You have 16gig of ram listed. I never, ever hit my 8gig... I have 16gig of ram and I just don't use it. Especially with 4gig on the graphics card. No idea how much that offloads from the main RAM, but... I'm usually at around 6gig of ram usage.

I know you do graphics stuff, but it still might be overkill. What you might want to consider is just getting 8gig of ram and seeing how that works for you. Then if you decide you want more ram later, spend the money then. That would probably help you spend the savings in other places on your build.

I think there is some confusion.. lol

I DO want the i7, I have listed in the partpicker link. It has hyperthreading. I am not looking for another i5.

The old computer I have right now has the i5, 8GB of RAM and the ATI 5770 video card.
I would like to build a new computer, not using any of the parts from the old computer, because that computer is spoken for once I build a new one.

As for RAM, the 3D and compositing programs I use tend to max out my RAM, and bring my system down to a low crawl. It takes forever to get anything done. Actually, I should get 32GB, but again.. budget. Since I have been using 8GB thus far, 16GB would be a welcomed upgrade.

I would very much appreciate any assistance on your end, if at all possible.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Ahh ok, I got ya. That's what I get for reading posts while at work. =)

Let me know when you decide you're ready and I'll check prices and availability at that time and we'll see what we can see.

Zynn

JFF Member
You had me confused..
I had to keep re-reading what I posted and was like "Where the heck does he keep getting that I am even considering the i5?" :)

Zynn

JFF Member
UPDATE:

Finally, I have all of the parts ordered and am waiting (ever so impatiently) for them all to arrive at my doorstep.

I spent many hours researching reviews, refreshing vendor retail sites, looking for promos, and even made all of the purchases through Mypoints.
I was surprised at how often reviews change and prices fluctuate. For example, the power supply I was going to get ended up getting a lot of bad reviews for starting fires. I did some more homework and chose a different one. It was the only gold-rated PS in my search list, so I thought that was crazy, so I picked it up. It was listed for $69.99 and I used a promo to shave $7 off of that. the day after I ordered it, the price went up to $99.99, and then $139.99, and was then put on sale. I'm happy with $62.99.

I had a heck of a time trying to get the video card. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere was out of stock. I couldn't find it on NewEgg, Amazon, or at any other vendor. People on computer and gaming forums were all looking for them. Amazon ended up getting 12 of them in, for like $350. I'm glad I caught it, as soon as they listed, because they all disappeared really quickly. The next day, I saw that private sellers listed them at $400-$460. One seller had 8 of them. Yeah, I'm pretty sure what he did.

I got the Processor water-cooler for 50% off at $45 instead of $90! I've been happy with their water-coolers, so I chose them again.

I ended up saving $535 on this system build vs someone who would just click to buy parts without looking for any deals.

Anyway, here is the final build I went with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zynn/saved/ssDnTW

Zynn

JFF Member
My opinion is that it's a really nice system and I'm jealous. Happy? ;)
I'm happy because I will finally be able to play games without having to turn down all the settings, or not play at all because the system just can't handle it.

What I am on right now is a core i5 760, with 8GB of ram, magnetic hard drives, and an ATI Radeon HD 5770. I felt so crappy thinking I can start playing something with people, only to find out I have to quit because my system can't handle it. For me, this is a nice improvement on which I can play modern games and do 3D artwork.

I know I don't have all top-of-the-line stuff in this build. I don't need an expensive and fancy case. Nobody will see my system, so I only care about cable routing and airflow. I don't need a GTX 980. According to benchmarks, it isn't much better than the 970 for the price hike, and when the price of the 970 drops, I can get another for SLI and it will blow the heck out of a 980.

I'm stoked to see what it is like to have an SSD running my OS and programs, as well as having 32 GB. I have never had an SSD, and 32GB is the most memory I have had on a personal system.

My next step is to get a nice monitor and get rid of the 22 inch 1680x1050, which is why I'm selling my action figures.

Depending on how much I can raise, I am thinking of one of either of the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294&cm_re=ASUS_PB278Q_27-Inch-_-24-236-294-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=g-sync_monitor-_-24-236-405-_-Product

Last edited: