Battleborn!

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
For all games ever, the dev teams need to provide a FOV slider at least to 100 degrees vertical, and checkboxes to disable motion blur, depth of field, etc. And then have the game tested by someone who's prone to motion sickness. In the little time I played Battleborn I didn't actually have any issues like this, but it bears mentioning anyway.
This is currently in game. I know you didn't get to play beta to see though. That being said, I don't feel the FOV to 100 is quite enough for some champions that have large weapons on screen.

As for the comments on the story missions, I know there are 10 story missions to be coming out, I can't really speak on which mode they're going to be focusing on, however, pve or pvp or whether there will be drop in like Borderlands because I just don't know. Myself, I was disappointed the storymodes, so far, are timed and don't have drop-in with friends. I too was hoping for more Borderlands-esque style.

I did find myself enjoying PVP more once I got into it and understand the mechanics better but it is a LOT to look at.

Overwatch, from what I understand, is a color vomit TF2?

I know Sili was one of the ones that had a hard time getting motion sick, and that's fair.

Thanks for the comments so far!

complexmath

JFF Administrator
Staff member
JFF Supporter
Yeah FOV is a tricky business. I tend to stick to 100 because any wider than that and you start to get a fisheye effect. Also, there's vertical and horizontal FOV, which are actually different. 90 vertical is something like 120 horizontal. If I remember correctly, traditionally, games go by vertical FOV, but some recent games have been using horizontal instead (Firewatch, for example), and so you have to set the FOV far wider in terms of the numeric value in order to get the same viewable area. I find all this horribly confusing and wish everyone would just stick to the measurement we're used to. I assume Battleborn uses the normal means of measuring FOV, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

And yeah, near as I can tell Overwatch is a color vomit TF2 plus sexism. But since it's a new game, people who haven't played much TF2 can presumably get into a TF2-like game before there's a decade worth of hats they don't have.

I do like that the MOBA style of Battleborn means that PvP should ultimately be more methodical than something like Overwatch, but it will also be more teamwork-dependent, which is a risky business. Six months from now will we see the same toxic behavior in Battleborn that is present in other MOBAs?

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Good points, who knows...all multi-player games are burgeoning on toxic at this point, imo lol People in general are bad.

I hadn't really taken into account the vertical/horizontal FOV thingy. I guess I just assumed it adjusted both when you change it up but I'm not really sure how it works...

complexmath

JFF Administrator
Staff member
JFF Supporter
I *think* the number is the number of degrees from top to bottom or from left to right. But since displays aren't square, 100 degrees from top to bottom equates to 150 degrees from left to right or whatever.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
First, I won't be buying Battleborn or Overwatch.
They're both the kind of game I would tinker with if they were offered as F2P.

Battleborn specifically:
The graphics are too messy. The shapes of the characters and other objects, along with the color choices and speed of gameplay, make it less than entertaining to even look at. FOV only goes so far when the models are so humongous. The guy with the minigun? His weapon and arm take up half the screen... why? It's already a pain to figure out what's going on without taking up so much screen space with irrelevance.

Durations. The story missions and multiplayer modes all take waaaaay too long. The two available missions took me over an hour each time, even after being familiar with them. I gave up on pvp when neither team had made any progress after 30 minutes.

PvP. Besides the MOBA mode taking forever and a day it also doesn't seem to be balanced at all. There's really too much to go into on that so I won't. I'll add that the one map I did play was a single lane, which in addition to the above made it very boring.

As for the story mode... if the missions were a little shorter it would be fun and maybe worth playing. But, I feel like so many other games are better in this regard and basically nullify any reason to pickup Battleborn for the story.

It's a shame because they've obviously put some work into the title and characters. I just don't think it's worth paying for.