Alpha Build ready for download

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
[REMOVED DOWNLOAD]

Here's the full message from the developer:

Alright everyone, we know its taken a much longer period of time to get Greed Monger rolling, the reasons for which I've explained many times and most of you have been very understanding. Thank you.

So here is the deal, there is still a LOT to be integrated into the game and right now, it's still kind of a pile of goo. The combat system for Ranged, Melee and Spells has been completed but not yet integrated because James is working on making sure the server side elements are ready to rock as well as some other important elements. But it's coming soon. So, rather than make everyone wait forever to be able to take part in anything with Greed Monger, I decided I'm just going to let everyone into a pre-alpha phase.

The deal is, you are agreeing that by downloading the client from below that you will not disclose how horribly unfinished it is on the internet because we know it's still horribly unfinished. It's getting there and there is a lot of content and other systems still to be integrated into the client. However, by doing it this way, we are going to let you all run around and explore as we continue adding new systems, features and content into the game one step at a time so you can see for yourself how things are making progress instead of being left guessing. From here, you will download the client and log in and notice there isn't much to it. Then, you will see an exponential progression of the games development as we begin throwing in the various layers of systems and content of which we initially expect to start off with many bugs, all of which we are sure you will tell us about in our Pre-Alpha forums being opened up as I write this.

Our goal is, between now and November to have Greed Monger ready for a public Beta. So we have our work cut out for us. We are also looking for additional volunteer programmers who might be interested in lending a hand with various things to speed up the process. So, without further to-do, here you are [Link Removed]

Download it, open it up and remember, we warned you...it's not going to be pretty for a while. :)
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Pre-Alpha to public Beta in 2 months? That sounds optimistic...

Will certainly be interesting to see the game developing first hand.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Well, that's exciting. I didn't realize they were looking to be ready for a public beta this year. I'll have to download it later tonight just to see what's up.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Pre-Alpha to public Beta in 2 months? That sounds optimistic...

Will certainly be interesting to see the game developing first hand.
Yeah, I don't believe their projections are anywhere near realistic, so... not worrying about it. I'll let them keep plugging away and spend my time on things that are a little more developed for now.

Ronus

JFF Member
Yeah, I don't believe their projections are anywhere near realistic, so... not worrying about it. I'll let them keep plugging away and spend my time on things that are a little more developed for now.
Yea, when the game developer posts this:

We are also looking for additional volunteer programmers who might be interested in lending a hand with various things to speed up the process.
I have grave doubts that "a pile of goo" can go from goo to public beta in 2 months. A better projection would have been Q2 2014!!!! I believe that is optimistic as well. I will probably download and try it, just for ships and giggles :D

Ronus

JFF Member
So taking a quick look at the GM forums showed this from this past Sunday 9/8 :

Will the Alpha be out within the month?
No it won't be... You won't want to miss the interview with Markee Dragon on Thursday November 14th at 5pm EST. We will be playing GM with Markee during the Interview and talking about GM's status, some of the issues we have dealt with in the last year, and make an announcement you won't want to miss!
So 2 days ago he went from no Alpha, wait until an interview in 2 months (Nov. 14th) ---> to todays post of Beta build in 2 months :D

Should be fun.... Now, to be fair, I understand that this Alpha release is supposed to be for the 667 Kickstarter backers only, so they aren't really in Alpha, but "Pre-Alpha". Also, right now there are 15 users viewing the GM Forums - you would think that on a day like this a few more of the 600+ users would be checking the forum.

Ronus

JFF Member
WOOOOT triple post!!!
Download is here: [LINK REMOVED]

Here's the full message from the developer:
New link, basically you need to change the .zip to .rar The zip files are corrupt. It is a 196MB file.

[LINK REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Anybody have any luck logging into it? Mine gets stuck on the unity3d loading up.

Ronus

JFF Member
Logged in after numerous tries and letting it sit for 5 minutes to load in. Walked about 10 feet and tried to move camera and froze for ~10 minutes. So figured I would wait a few days/weeks before I try again :D

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Has anyone had any luck actually getting into the game? Mines never moved past the loading screen.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
[MENTION=59]Rawrr[/MENTION] Primary link was fixed.
[MENTION=8]Alicia[/MENTION] I haven't bothered, figured it was way too alpha for me at this point.

Rawrr

JFF Member
Has anyone had any luck actually getting into the game? Mines never moved past the loading screen.
I downloaded it today and got into the game, but it kinda just freezes once i'm in the game, but tbh I have a pretty shitty pc so *shrugs*

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I downloaded it today and got into the game, but it kinda just freezes once i'm in the game, but tbh I have a pretty shitty pc so *shrugs*
I tried once after the working file was linked and it did the same to me. Everything loads, character spawns, the game crashes.

GM_JamesP

Hello guys. I'm James Proctor the Team Lead for Greed Monger. I found out you guys had leaked the link to the Client from a member on our official Forums. We said over and over again that Pre-Alpha was for KickStarter backers ONLY and the link wasn't to be giving out. I even went as far as to say that I would shut down the Pre-Alpha if I found it had been leaked. The Pre-Alpha is now shut down though it was for a unrelated issue. When we release the new Client in a couple weeks things will be setup differently so that accounts can't be created unless you are a KickStarter backer.

Also Jason get's Alpha and Beta confused alot. November we will be releasing our KickStarter backer ONLY Alpha. We have set no date on when we will launch our closed beta and certainly no time frame on when we will launch a public Beta.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Hello guys. I'm James Proctor the Team Lead for Greed Monger. I found out you guys had leaked the link to the Client from a member on our official Forums. We said over and over again that Pre-Alpha was for KickStarter backers ONLY and the link wasn't to be giving out. I even went as far as to say that I would shut down the Pre-Alpha if I found it had been leaked. The Pre-Alpha is now shut down though it was for a unrelated issue. When we release the new Client in a couple weeks things will be setup differently so that accounts can't be created unless you are a KickStarter backer.

Also Jason get's Alpha and Beta confused alot. November we will be releasing our KickStarter backer ONLY Alpha. We have set no date on when we will launch our closed beta and certainly no time frame on when we will launch a public Beta.
James,

Sorry, but I honestly had no idea that it mattered. After rereading the quote I initially put above in the first post, it doesn't mention anything at all about not posting the link to the download. It also mentions people "logging in", which would imply that it worked as most games... meaning installing the game is useless unless you have a valid account. So while it may have been mentioned "time and time again", the initial post with the download didn't mention anything about it at all.

That being said, I have no problem removing the links (even if it doesn't matter now), and I've already done so at first mention of it being a problem. Had whoever told you, told me, I would of removed it at that point as well.