So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

ADSL Modem/Router

Discussion in 'Electronics and Computing' started by Oxnar, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Oxnar

Oxnar Member JFF Member

Hi all, I am looking to drop my Frontier provided Netgear 7550 modem/ router for a commercial ADSL unit the lends itself to MMORPG gaming (if there is such a thing?).
    Normal usage around my home at any one time could be at least 1/2 users watching Netflix and 3/4 users on phones streaming video/ music, maybe one smart TV going, or Facebook videos over WiFi. Then there is me trying to play some MMORPG on a wired connection.
    What you need to know about my connection is it is poor, very poor from Frontier. (I live back in the sticks/ rural area) My down speed is 1.5 and up is .5. A Frontier tech told me once that they only have 3M at the DSLAM?
    I have talked to the IT guys here at work but they don't game and you need a engineering degree to to understand what they are saying.
    I would like buy a modem/router with a very easy to use QoS and 2.4Ghz +5Ghz/N

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Ox

2. panzerghost

panzerghost Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

At those download speeds I don't know how much benefit you'll gain from a so called "gaming" router that gives priority traffic. I don't personally know of any DSL Router/Modem combos. You may be better off getting any nice router and using your current modem in a bridged mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oxnar

Oxnar Member JFF Member

So after some digging I have settled on this. It cost a bit more than I had planed but features everything I was looking for.
    The biggest thing for me is the QoS wizard b/c this is where I can help myself the most (I believe?).

Thanks for the help,
    Ox