So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

7D2D Server Host

Discussion in '7 Days to Die' started by Trekkan, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

So.... I hate them. I found out why I hate them too... It appears that while the server is located in the US, they are located somewhere in the UK. (I still love you Rawrr)

What that means though is that their support is an 8 hour time difference and they don't have any nighttime support. So any tickets I put in, are generally not going to be answered until the next day.

Add to that, every upgrade of the server, they've screwed something up and we're late to the game. I hate being late.

Last upgrade, they did something wrong (But only on a few select servers, ours included), this time I installed the server as instructed. It didn't work. They told me "Do it again", so I did and it worked. So clearly they screwed something up again this time too.

SO

All that to say... I'm pretty much planning on creating a server here and hosting it myself. I'm either going to buy new hardware to do it or us an existing PC I have that I'm not using. This will let us run servers for multiple things whenever we want as that's all that server is going to do. Either way, this will give us the control we need to fix problems ourselves, run as many players as we want and any other game settings we want.

I have no desire to screw up everyone's game either by moving it and killing the work we've all done. So this is my plan:

Get a server ready here, make sure it all works, etc. Whenever the next upgrade happens and we're required to restart the world, cut over to the new machine at that time. That way we've only lost the work we were going to lose anyway.

Let me know if you guys have any concerns or questions about the plan. I run the servers I do for you guys as much as myself so I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

2. Rawrr

Rawrr Active Member JFF Member

Sounds great, thanks Trek!

3. Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal Member JFF Member

I have concerns but nothing with anything here

4. Ronus

Ronus Member JFF Member

I hear people get paid big bucks to listen to things like that :D

[MENTION=1]Trekkan[/MENTION] - I have no problem with starting from scratch as soon as you get a server up and running as opposed to waiting for them to do an update that requires a world reset. That may bee weeks the way they run, and I would rather have something under your full control. Just my thoughts on it...

5. Trekkan

Thanks Ronus, I've gone ahead and started up a server. We've had a few issues, but... at least I can fix them myself instead of waiting forever for someone else. Just do a search for "JFF" in the browser and that's us. I already PM'd you the password. =)

6. Ronus

Ronus Member JFF Member

I wasn't sure if you were starting it with your current computer or if are using a back up one already.

I did a search for jff & JFF and neither show. I am showing 770ish servers right now, I even alphabetized them and couldn't locate it. I will keep trying refresh and re-starting the game to see if it shows.

Thanks Trek

7. Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal Member JFF Member

Yea i am not seeing our server either right now

8. Ronus

Ronus Member JFF Member

OK, glad it's not just me.

Also, an fyi - the search IS case sensitive for each letter. It can be a partial search though, i.e. "JF" will give you "JFF" but "Jff" will not find it.

9. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

Thanks for that Ronus, I didn't realize it was case sensitive. I just Favorited it so I didn't have to search anymore. I don't see it up there this morning either.

10. Trekkan

Of course, I'm already at work... I'll see what I can do about going home and checking on it at lunch.